There are many ways to get bigger legs. Seriously! There are! But you have to take it seriously! Bigger legs mean more strength and more capacity to do work. Unfortunately, you wouldnt get there without taking tremendous hours of training! Even pro body builders took a lot of time to get their legs as thick as trees!
As Heavy as You Can
There is really no sorcery behind it. With motivation and willingness, you can have it too! One sure fire way to build big legs is to lift heavy stuff. Maybe you have already heard that squat is king? Yep, thats true. Squats are one the best ways to build your legs.
Power in Numbers
Squats done in proper form engages the largest muscles in the body, the quadriceps, and the glutes. You may think that this is the key in doing heavy sets at the gym, right? Right, but, not quite. Aside from those two, eight more muscles are engaged in each squat.
This is why its essential to work out all those muscles to give you that bulk of a big leg! Isolation exercises have their merits too. But, a compound exercise like squats will give you the most strength and size gains.
Five by Five
Heres a neat example of an effective squat workout. If you are a beginner, do so gently. You dont want to hurt yourself.
For newbies, dont try one rep max yet. You will just hurt your back. If you are used to an active lifestyle, maybe you can start with about 40-50% of your body weight. If you havent been active lately, 30% of your body weight will be a good start!
Heres how you to do a perfect squat.
- Limber up.
- Open your feet as wide as your shoulders with your toes pointing a little outward. The direction of your toe may seem like a trivial thing, but, this gives you more balance. It will?be less likely for you to fall when you point your toes out.
- Practice a squat without the weights first. Remember, keep your heels planted on the ground for balance. If you cant bring yourself lower without lifting your heels, maybe you should widen your stance and practice a bit more before you go for the perfect squat.
- Bring your butt lower while raising your hands forward simultaneously. Your arms correct the center of gravity as you go down, to make sure you will not fall. Alternatively, you can start with your arms raised. Do whatever is comfortable to you.
- Stop when your butt is a little lower than your knees then push back up.
- Repeat the process and do about 8-12 to warm up and get familiar with the motion.
- Now, when you are all warmed up, grab a barbell and mount it behind your neck. Take note of the position of the barbell. It should not be compressing your cervical spine. The bar should run along your traps while you hold the bar about 6 inches from your shoulders.
An Olympic bar weighs 44 pounds already. If you weigh 150lbs, this is about a third of your weight already. If you will be going for 30%, the Olympic bar is enough.
- Now, bring down?your butt with all the weights in a controlled manner below your knees.
- Push back up and repeat the process for 5 repetitions.
- Rest for one minute and repeat
- do five sets.
Do this routine every other day and add 5 pounds every week to increase the resistance.
Building Big Legs with Cardio
While you are on your journey on building big legs, you may want to try and have an exercise bike as your cardio preference. You can adjust the resistance of this machine and make it difficult for your quads to push! This also helps in building your legs!
Building Big Legs with Suspension
A suspension gym is a great way to make sure that you have proper cat form and don’t injure your joints because you are holding yourself up with the straps!
Building muscles require a lot of heavy lifting. Be sure to take precautionary measures while working out! Safety is your top priority. Big legs will be of no use if you get your back injured! Stay safe!
Liked this post? Feel free to leave a comment below. Share this page if you have enjoyed reading it!
Guest Blogger Bio:Emily is founder of BodyShape101.com, a blog where she and her associates talk about exercise, fitness, and yoga. Their aim is to help people like you to achieve perfect body. BodyShape101 is concentrated on exercise & fitness tips, and making the most out of it. She is also a mother of one and she tries to find balance between her passion and her biggest joy in life.